Earth Hour and miscellaneous pics
Monday, March 29, 2010
Earth Hour was March 27th at 8:30pm. We pulled out our candles (which hadn't been used since Earth Hour LAST year), lit a fire, found the flashlights, and tripped the circuit breaker!

Calli:

Rickson:

We spent the first several minutes eating our left-over sub sandwiches from lunch while we sat in front of the fireplace. Then we discussed what there was to do with zero electricity...


Roast marshmallows, of course!! So that took up a good portion of our hour. Can't top gooey roasted marshmallows and good conversation! I can't decide if it's sad or funny that Calli couldn't really come up with much when asked, "What do you think families used to do back when there was no power?" She thought for a long time before she said, "I dunno. Play outside, I suppose."
"Yeah, okay, but what about at 9 o'clock at night when it's dark and cold? What did they do then?"
"Sleep?"
>_>
So I threw out ideas like singing, storytelling, reading, crafing, and *gasp* talking! LOL! "Oh, yeah."
Doing simple things like using the bathroom or getting something from the kitchen was funny because several times we would walk away from the light of the fire and click a lightswitch! Oops! Then there was that momentary confusion before the person would yell, "Can someone bring me a flashlight?"
A few moments before Earth Hour was over, Calli went through the house the turned on EVERY switch in EVERY room with the idea that going from zero power to blinding brightness would be incredibly amusing. Not sure if it was or not, because I was the one who went behind the house to turn the circuit breaker back on. (And subsequently trecked through the house turning OFF all the lights. LOL!) It was a fun little thing to participate in.
Before it started, Calli had been outside playing with a neighbor friend. She suddenly remembered Earth Hour and told her friend she had to get home ASAP for it. Her friend had no idea what Calli was talking about. No surprise there!
************************************************************************
And now for some miscellaneous pictures that probably should have been posted with the laying down of the sod but I missed them...
The kids found a Rolly Polly and showered him with love and affection for about 20 minutes. (Which I'm SURE he appreciated... ha!) They made him a fabulous home (that I didn't get a picture of) in a bowl, filling it with dirt, rocks, sticks, leaves, etc. and watching him walk around and around the perimeter. They "set him free" in the yard and he ran for his little life. Poor thing. Hehe!

Then they drew with chalk a bit and Rickson was being really dramatic about jumping OVER the drawings so as not to mess them up. I caught a mid-air pic.

After the yard was finished and the roses planted, I walked up to the door and saw my family literally watching grass grow!

And this was from the other day, totally unrelated, but Rickson was going on and on about the magnets, telling me some half-understandable story. He got upset with me for taking this picture because I was interrupting him and he "wasn't ready yet!"

0 comments:
Post a Comment