Melting Rainbows

Monday, February 15, 2010

Here's another stolen-from-a-friend idea! I'd been saving broken crayons ever since Calli was little and had a good-sized bag of them that I pulled out of the closet when we decided to do this little project.

First came the peeling and sorting. Funny how, as a kid, peeling crayons was a fun thing. Not so much when you're an adult.

Photobucket

Then we broke them up smaller and put them into the tins. We got a mini muffin tin and a regular one to use just for this purpose. For the most part, Rickson just tossed handfuls into whichever spot he felt like. Calli and I tried to make pleasing mixtures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then into the oven! (250* for around 10 minutes or so, if you're interested.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then into the freezer to cool off. Some didn't get melted all the way, but many of the crayons we used were not Crayola brand. The lesser-quality ones produce below-average results.

Photobucket

But they're very pretty!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Unfortunately, they aren't the best for coloring, but they make fun blocks!

Photobucket

0 comments: