Reflecting...

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I don't usually post twice in one day (or twice in the same week, ha!) but I was contemplating my daughter and thought it worth putting here.

She's never been to school. She's only kinda been involved in any group activity - gymnastics when she was like 3 or 4, and swim lessons this summer. We were only involved with our town's homeschooling group for one full summer before several people moved away and it fell apart. There are 2-3 girls around her age on our block that she's been friends with for the past 2 years. No cousins to speak of, but one of her uncles is only 19 months older than her so they're pretty close.

Yet she is the most confident, outgoing, friendly, respectful, considerate child I've ever met. And I'm not just saying that because she's mine. Other people say it often.

At WalMart the other day I was looking for a particular type of fabric. She helped me look for a bit, but while I was down a different aisle, she found an employee and asked... "Excuse, me, Ma'am? I'm looking for a furry white fabric, like this one, but white. Would you happen to have anything available? No? Alright, well, thank you anyway for your help!" Then while we were standing at the counter waiting for our fabrics to be measured and cut, a woman dropped a bolt of fleece out of her cart but didn't notice. Calli hurried over, scooped it up, brushed off any dirt, and followed after the woman saying, "Ma'am? Ma'am, I think this fell out of your cart. You're very welcome!" accompanied by a beaming smile.

Later at CVS we were looking for a particular toy but having no luck. An employee walked by us (trying NOT to make eye contact, lol), and Calli took the initiative to ask, "Excuse me, I'm looking for Zhu Zhu Pets. The sign outside said you have some in the store, could you tell me where they would be?" And the lady led us right to them to which Calli thanked her earnestly.

Would she have this quality no matter what our schooling situation had been? Or was it something we've been able to foster in her? I'm blown away by her every day. Such an amazing young lady she's becoming.

0 comments: