Lucky Girl!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Calli is a super lucky little seven year old girl. She'd been pining over an American Girl (Just-Like-Me) doll for a long time so we got her one for Xmas. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to get any extras; she wanted a bed and pj's and stuff.

Well, her great-grandpa loves wood-working and he went out of his way to make an amazingly gorgeous bed and dresser for the doll. Simply stunning!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

We have plans on redoing her room and when we do, I'll be making a bed set for the doll that matches hers. However, for now, she has used some fleece scraps to make various decorations...

Photobucket

Then today I made a mattress and some pillows out of an old sheet.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I also finished up these blankies today finally. We fell in love with this fabric but it was a total PITA to work with. Definitely not perfect by any means, but still cute!

Photobucket Photobucket

She's been having the time of her little life dressing and playing make-believe with this doll. Her name is Lillia, by the way. Calli has had an imaginary best friend named Lilly for as long as I can remember so I suggested the name as being appropriate for her new friend. She decided on Lillia and Lily as her nickname. Too cute!

We were surfing the net last night and purchased a set of pj's from a WAHM (that come with slippers and a mini teddy bear!) and she asked how long they would take to get here. I told her that they would probably take until Sunday, but since there's no mail Sunday, then Monday. But since Monday is a holiday, not until Tuesday. She marked the days off on the calendar and then asked what holiday was on Monday. I told her it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. She, of course, asked who that was, which resulted in a 15 minute or so conversation about slavery, President Lincoln, the Emancipation Proclamation, segregation, and MLK's famous speech. I pulled the speech up on video and we watched the first bit, then fast-forwarded to the "I have a dream!" segment. Then we went on with our day.

What took 15 minutes would have been a week-long endeaver in a school setting.

0 comments: