Fun with Food Coloring!
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Calli got $5 from her Great Grandma for Halloween. While shopping the other day we browsed around the toy section like we usually do and nothing really was catching her eye. I started getting groceries and of all the things, she decides she wants to buy food coloring, plastic cups, and nacho cheese popcorn seasoning. I mean, seriously? What kid WANTS to buy those types of things? LOL!
Turns out she'd been wanting to do "experiments" with mixing colors and I had been out of food coloring for months so she hadn't gotten the opportunity yet. So she took the initiative and bought herself what she'd need. She's been having a great time with them! And while at the store she had scanned the food coloring to find out the price - $3.12. When she was getting ready to pay, I saw she had coins in her hand along with her bill money so I asked what the coins were for. She had two nickles and two pennies. "Because the food coloring has 12 cents at the end, right?" For one, I was surprised that she'd been that observant and for two, I was surprised that she could count the coins correctly. Of course, I had to explain that with the other two things she was buying the amount of cents was going to be different, but still - it's a step in the right direction!
We made a cake yesterday... it was supposed to be a rainbow cake. We made up the cake mix and then separated it out into 6 different bowls. (The first bowl had a small amount and each bowl gradually had more; since red would be in the middle and purple on top.) Getting the right shades of colors was fun! Then I started layering the colors in a cake pan... an 8x8 pan. You'd think I'd have known better, but nope! Not until I started pouring in the purple and thought, "Wow, this is pretty full." Duhhhh. So to avoid a HUGE overflowing mess in my oven, I had to pour the mix into a 9x13 pan which mixed and swirled the nicely layered colors. Dang it! Once baked, we iced it with gray and tried to make it look stormy... "If you want the rainbow, you have to endure the rain." It was still pretty yummy, though, and it just gives us an excuse to try again!


0 comments:
Post a Comment